Friday, November 22, 2013

WTF - Wiring The Factory Five

 
 This is the Battery cutoff switch.  It will cutoff all power except power for the clock, GPS keep alive and maybe a constant power for the pushbutton start so it does not need as much time for bootup.  It will kill the engine in case of an emergency and also provide a little extra security against theft.

 
I soldered all of my lugs for the 6 AWG alternator cables, 4 AWG grounds and 2 AWG battery, starter and main grounds.  This was one of my first attempts.  I did not go too well.  I got much better at it and only had to redo a few lugs. 

 
 This is the hole that I forgot to drill that prompted me to pull the engine back out.

 
Here is the main wiring harness before I modified it. 

 
Here it is after.  It may not look like much was done, but I had it torn all the way apart and modified a lot of it.

 
Inside the engine compartment nearing completion.  The upper right is where the rear harness had to come out of the footbox.  I joined it up with the alternator cables and in this picture the unwrapped starter cables.


Engine compartment almost done.  Here I was working on the wiring that came in the compartment from the passenger's side.  It has gauge, heater, wiper, choke and ignition wires.

 
Before I pulled the engine, the header was about 1/4" away from the footbox.  I was concerned that it would get the footbox too hot and damage the powdercoat.  I actually put a mod in to pull the footbox in and also installed some zero clearance insulation.

 
This is the starter wiring.  I have since changed the red cable out with one that has its lugs turned around.  That allowed the red cable lugs to go under the black cable lugs so that the red cable can move down towards the frame and away from the header that goes there.

No comments:

Post a Comment