Friday, November 22, 2013

Sharon's Box

Since we decided to put a heater/defroster in the car, we don't have any room for a glovebox in the dash.  Even with the firewall forward mod, I would only be able to put in a 3/4" deep glovebox and we thought that would be useless.  Instead we are putting in a grab bar for the passenger to hold onto and a rear cubbyhole between the seats.  I initially said no to the rear cubbyhole, since I was going to have to build it from scratch and doubted my ability.  Sharon pretty much peer pressured me into trying to do it.  Well, I think it turned out awesome.  But, since it was her I idea, she gets the credit and also gets it referred to as "Sharon's box."
 
 
 
Here is the paperboard template.
 
 
Me bending one of the scrap aluminum pieces I dug up to make it from.  Notice the safety glasses and gloves. 
 

 
Looking from inside the trunk.  It is located where the battery was initially supposed to go.  But, since I decided to change everything and move the battery, I had room for the box.


From the front, still trying to figure it out.

 
Sharon also decided that she wanted to have it all pretty, so I had to make a trim ring for it too.

 
The bottom of the trim ring overlaps where the rear cockpit panel bends, so out came the mallet.  Hey, who is that balding guy in the picture?

 
The semi-finished product.  The whole thing was then disassembled and powder coated the same color as the engine compartment panels.  The back wall will be carpeted up to the trim ring.  I think it is going to look pretty sharp.

No comments:

Post a Comment