Friday, November 22, 2013

Who's updating this thing anyway?

After the engine and transmission were installed I put most of the engine accessories on.  The next step was to start the wiring.  Since I was an electrician in a previous life, I was really looking forward to this part.  So, I pulled out the directions for the wiring harness and was ready to go.  I started out by seeing where all the harnesses were supposed to go.  Everything seemed ok until I read about the rear harness.  The instructions said to route the harness from the driver's side footbox out through the hole and then along the inside of the transmission tunnel.  I said "What hole?"  Well, I installed a firewall forward mod on the car, which moves the engine compartment side of the dash about 2 inches into the engine compartment.  This frees up room behind the dash for a heater and a glovebox.  It also makes you use a new inner driver's side footbox panel that they send you.  Guess what.  That panel they sent me, which is in the car already, didn't have a hole like the original one did.  Uh oh.  I needed to drill a 1 3/8" hole to put a grommet in and be able to pass the wires through.  The engine is about 4 inches away from the location of the hole.  I also found that the wiring for the starter relay was going to be a pain in the butt with the engine in.  Long story made longer is that I had to pull the engine and transmission out to be able to run all the wiring.  So, out it went.  It came out so fast (only took about 10 minutes) that no pictures were taken.  I think the photographer was busy with her kids or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment