Saturday, April 18, 2015

Body alignment

The body for the roadster is one piece.  The directions for the car really only tell you to put the body on and then install the bumper bolts and that should get the body where it is supposed to be.  Well, that didn't work for me.  The door jams did not wind up in the correct spot, the hood opening did not sit correctly on the driver side and the driver's front bumper bolts did not line up.  I found some posts that help to get the body lined up, but I still couldn't get it where I wanted it.  I was trying to get everything lined up before paint and was very frustrated.  One of the biggest problems was that I could not get the windshield in.  So, I called the shop that I wanted to do the body work and paint and he told me it was a common problem and that he would get it lined up.  But, there were a few things that I needed to do before I could bring the car to him.  Three months later (December 12th) I finally got the car to the painter.  Unfortunately, another Cobra got to him just before mine did.  So, with the holidays and the other car in the way, I didn't get the chassis back until the end of February.

Let me explain how the painting process goes on a fiberglass bodied roadster.  First, I take the chassis with the body on it to the painter, along with the doors, hood, trunk, rollbars, exhaust and everything else that could affect the alignment.  After the body is lined up, he puts the doors, hood and trunk on and sets the gaps so that the paint will fill it in perfectly.  Then, all the fiberglass comes off and I pick up the chassis.  While the painter finishes sanding, filling, sanding, priming and painting I install the carpet and the rest of the interior.  Then, when the body is done, I go back up and the body gets put on.  This process usually takes about 3 months.  I thought it would work out and I would get the body just before leaving on my trip to Arizona, but it was delayed and should be ready when I get back.

This is when I had the body on, but you can't really see any of the issues.




 This is a pic the painter sent as I was on the way up to pick up the chassis.  There is no way I could have gotten things to line up that well.



The paint shop I am using is New Reflections in Howell, Michigan which is about an hour and a half from my house.



No comments:

Post a Comment